The Once for Scotland Mega-App, based on much input and feedback from Right Decision Service users over the last 2-3 years, is a major step forward in embedding use of decision support mobile tools as the norm in day to day practice across health and social care. It will provide a single gateway to all Right Decision apps and toolkits, offering the following key benefits:
- A single go-to place which makes it quick and easy for users to find the local and national resources they need. Currently the Right Decision Service app landscape is difficult to navigate, with over 20 apps and hundreds of toolkits covering local and national needs.
- Users can select to download only the specific toolkits they require, rather than taking up space with large volumes of unnecessary content on their mobile devices.
- Enhancements to functionality will be delivered much more quickly as they only need to be deployed once, rather than across 20 apps with different infrastructures.
- Sharing and embedding components such as calculators, question and answer pathways, forms and content across toolkits is simple and managed directly by RDS editors, without requiring any technical input.
- Updates to toolkits will be downloaded to the app automatically, or optionally without WiFi
- A Favourites screen will allow access to user's bookmarks and notes in the app
As demonstrated in our Teams sessions a few months ago, the Once for Scotland mega-app is a single downloadable app which:
- Presents a directory of all existing Right Decision apps, plus all new toolkits built within the new mega-app content management system going forward.
- Enables users to browse and filter across all apps and toolkits, and to install just those items of interest to themselves. These will be accessed through a “My toolkits” section in the mega-app.
- Is supported by a single Right Decision content management system in which all new toolkits and collections will be constructed in future.
A companion Once for Scotland Mega-app for Patients and Citizens will provide a single gateway to all citizen-facing apps and toolkits.
A website interface to these mega-apps will be delivered a few months following go-live of the downloadable apps.
- All enhancements to Right Decision app builder functionality will now be applied only to the Once for Scotland instances. We will work with app owners to transfer as many as possible of the existing apps and toolkits over to the mega-app content management system over the coming months so that they get the benefits of new
- All editorial functionality in the current Right Decision Service/QURIS back-end platform is retained in the new mega-apps. It has been transferred into the latest version of Umbraco, which will improve efficiency and address some of the current editing concerns.
- Key enhancements to editorial functionality include:
- Ability to share and embed components – e.g. calculators, question and answer pathways, visual pathways, narrative content – across toolkits without requiring technical input.
- Automated emails to prompt reviewers when content review is due.
- Capability to hyperlink via an anchor to a section of an accordion rather than page level only.
- Capability to password protect sections of a toolkit rather than the full toolkit.
We are hoping to have this out sooner rather than later, but also want to ensure that we release a solid product that is ready for you to hit the ground running. This is a very exicitng time and we are very proud of all the hardwork and dedication our staff is putting into this new and improved CMS; we could not do it without all the constructive and helpful suggestions and feedback we receive from all our customers. We will be communicating release dates soon so please keep your eye out for messaging regarding this roll out.